Please welcome the tiniest fox cubs we currently have in our care!
Weighing just 70g each (about the same as an egg), these two females were rushed into the centre after they were pulled from their Earth by a dog. Very sadly, their third sibling did not survive the encounter, but the other two were quickly brought into our care.
Although these two had escaped injury, they had been fed cow's milk by a well-meaning member of the public and had to remain in our care. Like the vast majority of species, foxes are unable to properly digest this milk and drinking it can lead to stomach upset, diarrhea, bloat and even organ damage.
With their umbilical cords still attached, they could not have been much younger but, luckily, we have a lot of experience in raising premature and neonatal fox cubs. Now in the care of our Hospital Manager, Alannah, they have made fantastic progress and are already growing quickly!