Do One Thing for wildlife
iDot stands for “I Do One Thing”. Simple actions you can do, every day, to help protect the planet. It puts the power to effect change into the hands of the individual. British nature is in crisis. 1 in 7 species of plant and animal face extinction, over half the country’s wildlife species are in decline, with over 40% of natural habitats at risk of being lost. However, with over 68 million people in the UK, together, we can make a difference.
Through iDot, we hope to nurture a positive change in our behaviours, inspiring people to carry out simple actions, daily, which when combined, deliver an enormous benefit to wildlife and the environment. It takes a holistic approach to repairing the damage done to wildlife and the wider environment. By inspiring children and adults, alike, to live more environmentally friendly lifestyles, in school, at work, in the community, and at home, the initiative hopes to restore balance in our ecosystems by ending exploitation and, instead, promoting coexistence. Every iDot you do, even something as simple as picking up litter, has the power to significantly reduce the risk to wild animals. The more iDots you complete, the more impact we can all have.
Who is iDot for?
One of iDot’s greatest strengths is that it is completely inclusive. Anyone anywhere in the world can join in, all it takes is a desire to create a better world. Whether you’re a student or a local councillor; a Scouts group leader or a school headmaster, a parent or a small business owner; if you’re interested in improving human interactions with nature, iDot is here to help.
We actively promote a better relationship with nature at home, in school, at work and in the community. Our partners, both local and national, encourage the performing of minor daily actions, preserving our natural heritage for future generations.
Do One Thing for nature
Each of us has the ability to carry out countless acts of environmental kindness that can go on to support the lives of wild animals and the greater natural world. Take the iDot pledge today and commit to Doing One Thing, every day, to help wildlife.
Through iDot, we hope to nurture a positive change in our behaviours, inspiring people to carry out simple actions, daily, which when combined, deliver an enormous benefit to wildlife and the environment.
Here are a few iDots you can do to help wildlife today
1. Plant wildflowers (honeysuckle, oxeye daisy, primrose, etc.) to help pollinators.
2. Create hedgehog highways (holes in fences for hedgehogs to pass through).
3. Provide feeding stations for wildlife, such as foxes, hedgehogs, birds etc.
4. Don’t use slug pellets or rodent poisons – wildlife gets caught in the crossfire.
5. Give wildlife a home by providing bird and bat boxes, hedgehog houses, and log piles.
6. Drive slowly, especially on country roads and in the mornings and evenings.
7. Eat less meat and fish – Transforming natural landscapes into farmland to feed and raise animals for human food is one of the greatest causes of habitat loss across the planet.
8. Pick up litter to prevent animals from accidentally eating or becoming injured by it.
9. Get outdoors! – Spending more time outside helps foster our connection to nature.
Visit our iDot resources page for loads of great ways to help wildlife and the environment. You'll find activities to do whilst at school and at home.
Click the button below to get downloading!
If you'd like WAF to talk at your school or event, contact us today!
1,490,690 iDots completed to date...
...and counting. Will you join the iDot movement?